Sunday, July 21, 2013

On and on "it" goes

"It" is defined here as the daily grind  of yearning and trying to be the person God sees me as becoming--the one he created me to be. And that can be a daily struggle.  It is so difficult to always be trying--I know scripture says this job belongs to the Father.  I get caught up in the daily grind of cooking, cleaning, taking care of the needs of others (who can probably take care of their own needs!), and trying to take care of myself--something I was taught was not necessary.  I even feel a little rebellion against even writing that I need to take time for myself--isn't that selfish.  I'll tackle that statement in another time and place!

For now I am struggling with the passage that speaks of Mary and Martha.  A couple of weeks ago in talking to someone, the words "Martha and Mary" came up and my immediate reaction was to say, "I never understood that scripture!"  With quite an emphasis on each word!  It really made me mad that Martha was so misunderstood and even rebuked by Jesus.

In the first place, Lord--I can hear myself saying--Scripture says he was in Martha's house.  She must have been the sister who was saving and cutting corners to be able to be the owner of a house, she was responsible, the house was ready to receive visitors and food was being prepared to serve the visitors.  The visitor was Jesus and the very best was to be offered to him.  Maybe when she knew he was coming the floor was not swept, the lamb was not even killed, the other dishes were not ready, maybe she had to go to the market, maybe the table cloth was not even ironed, and who knew where enough napkins were stored.  And what about an arrangement--maybe flowers or candles or both--which would look best?  So why do I know so much about Martha's feelings?  In this home I am Martha!  

No comments:

Post a Comment